ZALOGUJ SIĘ

fuggedaboutit (forget about it) and eye dialect (dialekt wizualny)

zmodyfikowany: rok temu
fuggedaboutit (forget about it) and eye dialect (dialekt wizualny)

Dialekt wizualny to stosowanie celowo niestandardowej pisowni przy standardowej wymowie. Ta forma niestandardowej pisowni różni się od innych tym, że różnica w pisowni nie świadczy o różnicy w wymowie danego słowa. To znaczy, że jest to dialekt dla oka, a nie dla ucha.

Dialekt wizualny zazwyczaj służy do przedstawienia postaci, które są słabo wykształcone, z marginesu społecznego...

Charles Dickens - Oliver Twist

Rozmowa pomiędzy Artful Dodger and Oliver Twist, rozdział 8:

‘Hullo, my covey! What’s the row?’ said this strange young gentleman to Oliver.

‘I am very hungry and tired,’ replied Oliver: the tears standing in his eyes as he spoke. ‘I have walked a long way. I have been walking these seven days.’

‘Walking for sivin days!’ said the young gentleman. ‘Oh, I see. Beak’s order, eh? But,’ he added, noticing Oliver’s look of surprise, ‘I suppose you don’t know what a beak is, my flash com-pan-i-on.’

Oliver mildly replied, that he had always heard a bird’s mouth described by the term in question.

‘My eyes, how green!’ exclaimed the young gentleman. ‘Why, a beak’s a madgst’rate; and when you walk by a beak’s order, it’s not straight forerd, but always agoing up, and niver a coming down agin. Was you never on the mill?’

‘What mill?’ inquired Oliver.

‘What mill! Why, THE mill — the mill as takes up so little room that it’ll work inside a Stone Jug; and always goes better when the wind’s low with people, than when it’s high; acos then they can’t get workmen. But come,’ said the young gentleman; ‘you want grub, and you shall have it. I’m at low-water-mark myself — only one bob and a magpie; but, as far as it goes, I’ll fork out and stump. Up with you on your pins. There! Now then! Morrice!’

Jak widać, we fragmencie jest kilka słów, które są nieznane współczesnemu czytelnikowi.

Covey: przyjaciel, towarzysz

Row: problem, kłótnia

Beak: sędzia w sądzie magistrackim

Flash: kryminalista

Green: - niewinny

Mill: - drewniane koło, bieżnia rodzaj kary dla więzniów

Stone jug - więzienie

Grub: jedzenie

Bob: - sziling

Magpie: półpensówka

Morrice: Idźmy!
piotr.grela