ZALOGUJ SIĘ

OT- A page turner -The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

zmodyfikowany: 3 lata temuostatnia aktywność: 3 lata temu
The Silent Patient
by Alex Michaelides
Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London’s most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word.

Alicia’s refusal to talk, or give any kind of explanation, turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London.

Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. His determination to get her to talk and unravel the mystery of why she shot her husband takes him down a twisting path into his own motivations—a search for the truth that threatens to consume him....

Review from goodreads.com:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40097951-the-silent-patient

"we are made up of different parts, some good, some bad; and that a healthy mind can tolerate this ambivalence and juggle both good and bad at the same time. Mental illness is precisely about a lack of this kind of integration – we end up losing contact with the unacceptable parts of ourselves."
piotr.grela

Wykup dostęp, aby dodać komentarz.

Odpowiedzi: 1

Peter,
what are the reasons for your recommendation? Studying language or ideas?
Kind regards,
m.

ps. You are lifting up the debate on the etutor.pl platform to the next level. Your project is extremely ambitious.
abmmichal
3 lata temuzmieniany: 3 lata temu
piotr.grela - I'm a little elderly English learner and I like reading for pleasure :-) This book is very popular among the British readers.
It's about psychological problems we all experience during our life.
That book has been written in a very accessible English and modern English.
The best way, in my opinion, reading it is on a Kindle device or app.
You can check your vocabulary simply by touching the screen.
You can buy additional audio version with a nice lector.
- 3 lata temu zmieniany: 3 lata temu
kktm - some small errors?

That book has been written. -> was written
a very accessible English and modern English. -> a very accessible and modern English.
reading it is on a Kindle device or app
-> is to read it on a/the Kindle device or an app.

avoid using "nice"

https://youtu.be/-C4nJaluO5g
piotr.grela - Kktm - I forgot your name. Thanks for your remarks.

I care a little about grammar and vocabulary when I speak. First I think what I want to say, later how to pronounce, vocabulary and the last is a grammar.
I'm a bloody foreigner and I'm gonna make mistakes.

I used Present Perfect in a sentence:" That book has been written in a very accessible English and modern English." to emphasize that it was written quite recently (2019).

Thnx for the link. It's a very nice... :-) informative lesson. I hope that more I read the more I will use more sophisticated vocabulary.
kktm - Imho if someone wrote a book, and it appeared in libraries you cannot use PP tense.

But, I am not a grammar expert, quite the opposite. Just that sentence looked a little bit bizarre to me. You can always ask your friends in the UK about that.

And the most important thing enjoy devouring the book, honestly I envy you cause currently I do not have time for reading.
- 3 lata temu
abmmichal - Even if a book was written long ago, the use of the bloody Present Perfect, makes sens.

compare: Jesus has taught us.

why to avoid using NICE?

Wykup dostęp, aby dodać komentarz.